If you had asked me 6 years ago, what my morning routine consisted of, I would have told you that I woke up, had a shower, put my face on and then I’d head out the door. It was only when I hit rockbottom that I was able to reflect on how I was living my life.
I had crippling anxiety and depression and I was doing absolutely nothing for my own self-care. I had been living for others for a really long time and the only way I was going to transform my life is if I took massive action.
I began immersing myself in personal development books and audio recordings. My first ever personal development book, and ultimately the real game changer was, Dr. Wayne Dyer’s Your Erroneous Zones.
A particular quote from this book really resonated with me.
“This road will be new because you will see a given emotion as a choice rather than a condition of life.” ~ Dr. Wayne Dyer (Your Erroneous Zones)
I knew I had to go further than just reading words, I had to start implementing some of the lessons that I was learning.
I explored other books and authors and researched what successful people did to prime themselves for the day.
I read the following: get up early, between 5:30 & 6:30am everyday, meditate, journal, read, listen to inspiring or motivational audio, move your body and put the nutrients in, etc. I began experimenting with my morning routine. I explored the following;
1. A regime of prayers and affirmations
3. Going for an early morning run
4. Drinking a protein shake
5. Going for an early morning swim
6. Writing and reading out my goals each day
7. Emotion Focused Tapping
8. Making a green smoothie and a hearty breakfast each day
9. Implement a structured plan of 5 different supplements in the morning, etc.
However, I soon realised that if I implemented all that I read, the day was going to be over before I even started it!
Over the years with continued self-exploration and therapy, I was able to work out what I actually liked and what made me feel good. I came up with my own morning routine that has not only allowed me to cultivate a deeper understanding of myself, but has also drastically improved the quality of my life and health.
At the moment, my current morning routine is made up of the following:
1. I get up between 5am & 6am every morning.
2. I brush my teeth, tongue scrape and oil pull.
3. I go for an 8-10km walk.
4. I come home and do a 15 minute yoga flow; then
5. I meditate for 10 minutes.
6. I read through my goals, affirmations and my letter to money.
7. I write 3 key points in the morning of what I am grateful for.
8. I have a glass of warm lemon water.
9. I put a few drops of OnGuard Essential oil under my tongue for clarity, health and protection throughout the day.
10. I drink a glass of clean spring water as a chaser to the essential oil and I take my supplements with a piece of paleo toast with smashed avocado and Tahini.
11. I draw a positive quote from my daily calendar; and then
12. I put my make-up on, or a tinted SPF moisturiser and I get my day started!
This might seem like a lot….In truth, it takes me about 2.5 hours to get through all of this, but I wouldn’t have it any other way!
The trap I got into in the beginning was feeling like I should implement everything that was suggested to me in the books and podcasts that I consumed and this can feel a little overwhelming.
I would strongly encourage you to experiment with different methods and try certain activities on and see how they make you feel. I assure you my friend, if you hang in there, a structured morning routine will change your life!
Let me know what your morning routine consists of in the comments below.
Take care. Cheers. xx